Tuesday, October 9, 2012

D.H. Hooreas , Man of mystery...

This is a letter found in a box of items my Father gave me, he gave me this box when he was very ill and I am not entirely sure if it was he or his parents that collected the mish-mash of stuff together in the box.

   The box contained some older correspondance to my Grandparents from persons unknown and a bunch of letters to someone named Minnie L. Dana in Amherst, MA.
    I have no idea who she was (the letters are quite old, presumably she's passed on by now) but considering they were sent to an Amherst address, where my Grandparents once lived, I am going to assume this person had some sort of relation to our family (be it DNA related or related through friendship)

   The same can not be said for this guy:
 
    
I really haven't the foggiest idea of who he might be, how we may be related or even if we are related at all.

    The letter contained in the box from my Father seems geneology related but I don't recognize any of the names (the ones I can read and understand through the flourish of old time handwritting).

     I have been very successful using the internet to glue together missing pieces in both my maternal and paternal histories so having a little time this afternoon, I figured it really can't hurt to post up this mystery man's correspondance and see if he rings a bell with anyone.

    Even if he is entirely unrelated to my family (this is very possible as my Grandmother collected old postcards and had an intrest in geneology, I could easily see her picking this item up at a flea market or yard sale just because it looked neat, I would have done the same thing too...) this guy is related to someone. Maybe that someone is looking for him and what could be a rosetta stone to fill in missing gaps in thier own history.

    Either way, it seemed pointless to leave this juanty fellow just yellowing away at the bottom of a box in my closet when clearly he went to the trouble to write this letter and send a photo too (no cheap gesture in the late 1800's...).

     At the very least, it's a neat piece of antique ephemera and at best, Mr. D.H. Hooreas (sp?)'s geneological efforts have entered the age of the internet. 
   An age I am quite sure he probably couldn't have imagined in his wildest dreams fo the future...






  Perhaps this post will be found by someone 100 years from now who knows who Mr. Hooreas was but will be entirely perplexed on how his letter got to the hands of Laura Vona of Randolph, MA.

     The mind boggles...

No comments:

Post a Comment